Saturday, August 2, 2008

Bikes! Bikes! Bikes!

Today I went out on a fact finding mission for the tri bike that I hope to build soon. I tested 3 bikes from 3 different manufacturers. A Qroo, a Trek, and a Specialized. First off none of them fit, on all of them my knees hit my elbows, legs hit chest, and shoes hit the chain stays (first time i've ever had to TOE IN to pedal a bike!). Why aren't bike companies making Tri bikes for taller riders??? I need a 64cm road bike, and around a 62cm tri bike, no one makes bikes for tall guys! The real question I'd like to pose in this post is why are tri bikes so sluggish?

My comfort roadbike handles shaper and with more speed than those tri bikes! Seriously, after test riding those three bikes I hopped on my Specialized Roubaix (which is even so modified so I can fit that weight distribution is way off) and was relived to have bike that could corner, and a bike with long chain stays. I've so far discovered that tri bikes handle like cargo ships, and that the proportions of the bike are all off.

I think I need to build a tri/road combo of sorts. Longer chain stays, longer top tubes, with short head tubes and really wacky angles to get the right amount of trail and get the weight distribution back in between the wheels instead of having a front bias like those tri bikes, or a rear bias like my modified Roubaix. So is the life of a tall guy, always a struggle being too big for most things, bikes included.

No comments: