Saturday, August 9, 2008

Trans Mendota Swim

I decided I couldn't wait to see if could do the 5.53miles across lake mendota so I went for it this morning.

stats:
5.53MI swim
2hrs 18min
1:33/100m pace

Since I didn't have to go to work until 11am I decided I would go for the swim this morning at 7. I got ready and hopped on the bus that would take me to the edge of the Yahara river. It took about a half hour to get to the north side of the lake. I didn't have a kayaker or anybody going along but I saw a lot of fisherman and early morning boaters out so I decided just to risk it.

I walked to the bridge that would mark the starting point of my swim at the northern most part of lake Mendota by the Cherokee marsh. I pulled on my swim cap and goggles and jumped in. The water was quite warm, which was good since I didn't have a wetsuit on.

I swam through the marina and out into the lake. The water was calm and I got into a good rhythm my goal was a 2:30hrs I knew it was doable because I'd done a 30:54 at Racine and had been right around a 1:30/100m in warmer water.

I just keep swimming, out into the middle of the lake. I was using the capital for sighting. Since i'm half blind without glasses it was the only part of downtown Madison that I could see. I knew that if I kept just left of it I would be on target to hit James Madison beach, the end of swim. I was about 2 miles out into the lake when I came upon a group of people taking sailing lessons. It was really weird because I kept expecting to hear the boats but, they were silent, and I'd hear LOOK OUT!! from behind and have to dive out the way an errant sailboat. I finally cleared the curious and dangerous inexperienced sailors and kept on swimming just left of the capital building.

Another 1/2 mile or so and the waves started getting really big. I got really Sick! It was like constantly swimming through ocean surf Up and Down, up and down I figured out they were between 3-4ft waves!! I managed to not throw up but I was very sea Sick. The rough waves lasted until 1 mile from the southern shore of the lake. Where it smoothed out again, but it got very weedy, almost so weedy I could practically walk on the water!

I knew though that that meant I was getting very close to shore. I concentrated on swimming efficiently and fast! Soon I could see the beach. I re adjusted my heading and swam straight in. 5.53 miles in 2hr's 18 minutes! This swim would have been nicer with a kayaker to carry some water or something. I didn't dare drink from the lake as people have been getting Sick from the algae, and by the time I finished I was very dehydrated. This was one incredible swim, I was hoping for just over 2:30hrs but sub 2:20 was just unexpected!!

I've got a new challenge in mind. Though, it will probably have to wait till after IM, and that is to swim all 4 of the chain lakes. It's 20 miles, and yes I will definitely have some one come along on that swim thats too long for a solo swim without water/food etc.

No comments: