Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Piloting the 1886 Benz Patent Motorwagen


In 1886 Carl Benz (of Mercedes Fame)Patented what is believed to be the first gasoline powered automobile. The Patent Motorwagen, a three wheeled one cylinder vehicle that produced .75 Horsepower, was built from 1886 to 1894 only to be brought back one hundred years later in 1986. I have had the pleasure of maintaining, and driving these replicas during an intership at the Mercedes Benz Classic Center. They are accurate down to the size of the threads although they do sport modern Paint jobs.

Before I take a Motorwagen for a drive I always go through a checklist, in much the same way a pilot does a preflight check on his aircraft before takeoff. I walk around the vehicle looking for anything that needs attention. I wiggle the tiller, is everything tight? does the steering gear mesh properly?

Next I look at the wheels to make sure they are straight and true and that the rubber tires are still firmly glued to the rims. Look at the drive chains, how clean are they, are lubricated? Next I check to make sure that the drive belt that connects the engine to the transmission is firmly in place. Then I open the water tank and fuel tank and refill them if needed. I also check and lubricate all wear points on the engine and drive train and make sure to top up the oilers that lubricate the piston and connecting rod.

OK, everything good? one last check, and I'm ready to go. I reach under the seat and flip the ignition switch to the ON position. Next I screw the throttle out about an inch and move to the back of the car.

To start this car I rotate the flywheel so that the engine is on the compression stroke. I grasp the flywheel and heave it in a clockwise direction. The machine coughs once and dies. I repeat the process it coughs once more...the engine free wheels and starts to slow it slows almost to a stop and then bang! The flywheel rotates faster this time and almost immediately there is another Bang! The engine starts Banging faster and Pumps out a rhythm of Bang! click, click, click, Bang! click, click, click... Faster and faster the engine goes and the whole car begins to rock back and fourth with each explosion. Great, the car is ready to go!

I put my foot on the step plate and climb into the cockpit. I firmly grasp the tiller with my right hand and in my left I push the drive lever forward and the car begins to move. That fast moving engine slows dramatically as the car moves forward. I pull out of the garage and open up the throttle. The Three wheeled contraption starts to pick up speed, and almost immediately it is faster than I want it to go!

Even on smooth pavement the over sized leaf springs make the car feel unstable. It definitely isn't a modern car. As I tool around a parking lot the car seems to float over the road. That ancient suspension providing a very cushy but disconnected ride. I move the tiller and the car responds quickly, almost too quickly for comfort. Steer to the right and the entire carriage slings its weight to the left and you feel almost like you are going to be thrown out of the car. Of course that doesn't happen but it certainly makes you excited.

I move onto the road now and get up to top speed. It feels fast, it even looks fast, but it isn't. A cyclist from a hundred years ago would have easily surpassed it's speed of only about 15mph. Though, I wouldn't want to go any faster on this thing!

The truth about those early automobiles is that they weren't practical, and they were every bit as dangerous as people made them out to be. Speeding could and did result in death. Trying to start early cars, by hand, resulted in many broken fingers and arms and the ride quality was atrocious. These, however, become just minor trivialities as soon as you pilot a vehicle like this.

Patent motorwagens are just too exciting to be ignored! The wind through your hair, the clatter of the engine, and the uncertainty that the bouncy ride gives make this car more exciting than any modern car. To buy a replica of the Benz Patent Motorwagen will set you back about $90,000 and if i had the dough I'd buy one!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You write very well.